Thursday 25 March 2010

AGNOSTICISM

I joined the facebook agnosticism group.

Some of the atheists are as bad as some of the full on believers. There is nothing to be ashamed of with the answer “I don’t know”...somebody once said “wisdom starts with I don’t know” which I think is a wonderful quote. And the fact remains that there are nice atheists and nasty atheists...nice believers and nasty believers...and so on and so on.

"Really glad to see "often mistakenly put forth as a middle ground between theism and atheism" on the info page. Why do so many people miss that point? "Atheist" and "agnostic" address two different questions. Not that hard."
--Ryan Schneider

This reminds me greatly of the other three things….optimistic, pessimistic and realistic….I find that some people seem to put pessimistic and realistic into the same category which they certainly aren’t at all. But...I will admit that it is perhaps hard for people when dealing with somebody like me who is probably displaying all three things at once. To be realistic I think you have to have a lot of knowledge, experience and be able to see where you went wrong in the past with something.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I whole-heartedly agree there is nothing wrong with saying "I don't know". Absence of evidence is never evidence of absence.

Still, one might see that evidence for the all-powerful creator, Yahweh, is so slim it may well be ruled out (the problem being that limitations have been drawn on who He is, and specifically how He behaves).

In defense of Atheism, I sometimes call myself an Atheist because I live as one: I worship no God, and follow no religion. I've accepted my own mortality. I don't see enough evidence to do so. But truth is I am, like yourself, Agnostic to the idea of there being things we don't not yet know about, or have even conceived.