Tuesday 19 February 2008

The Three Answers

Now this is something I find interesting. In art your going to come up against a question at some point, somebody is going to ask you…“what do you think of this?”, wiether that be a painting, film trailer, short film, book, play etc...you can say “Yes, I love it” or you can say “No, I don’t like that” or you can answer “I don’t know, give me some time to think about that”...all of which are honest answers. But the third answer is quite often taken very badly by the person who asked the question, almost as if they feel its a negative answer...when its actually as honest a answer as the other two. Why is this?…

“I don’t know” isn’t a immediate answer...there’s uncertainty in it...uncertainty often leads to negative thought?...I wonder why that is?

People have to understand that there’s a constant change going on, likes and dislikes are changing over a long time period in peoples minds, some people change their mind by getting use to something that they didn’t INITIALLY like over time and vice versa. There’s such vast detail in some stuff, that your brain cant take it all in at once, so one viewing really isn’t enough, and we should learn to understand that. It's hard nowadays avoiding the hype engine, I keep falling victim to that one myself, and for all things…at the end of the day, I also keep assuming, when I shouldn’t, but we’re human, we make mistakes.

It’s been a quest of mine now for about four years to try and understand the human race a bit better as best I can in the circumstances that I’m in, I’ve met a lot of extreme people in my time...is there a automatic thing in all people that pushes them towards the negative?...or am I simply falling victim to assumption and am guilty of a sweeping statement...after all... I’ve not met very many people in my life.

To go further with this, the News on the television reports bad things about 95% of the time, people remain to still watch it, I'm not saying we should be apathetic, its good to take a interest in world affairs, but apparently in the past there was a news channel that reported 95% positive stories, and it was shut down due to low ratings.

What I reckon people take a certain security perhaps in the bad news thing...it’s the “there’s always somebody worse off than myself” thing.

No comments: