Thursday 23 October 2008

CINEMA GIVING YOU A BROKEN HEART, NOT FROM THE FILM ITSELF BUT FROM YOUR PARENTS = THE FILM BROKE YOUR HEART

Ok...now, I don’t often get charged up to write something about a film in here, but I keep getting this overwhelming uncontrollable serge in my brain, in the last forty eight hours its happened a few times, so here I am. Its bothering me when I go into conversation with my mother and father about the film in question I just felt somewhat heart broken.

The movie was Broken Flowers Directed by Jim Jarmusch...

...and I really, really loved it. And I find their thoughts (my parents) on the film to be somewhat staggering, it's furthermore incredible that a film can reveal these things...reveal things about peoples characters it such a clear way that you did not know about prior to this.

We follow this character called Don Johnston through the entire film...and through the entire film the man doesn’t do *anything* nasty to *anybody* ...at all...not *one* single thing. Now...granted we don’t know much about his past or much about him either...we don’t know if he suffers from depression or anything much really. All we really know is that he is fifty six years old, and appears to have had what seems to be about six or seven girlfriends over a very long time period.

Both my mother and my father said he was not a nice person and a womaniser...

But... it’s a pretty long period of time gone by here for Don Johnston...and we don’t have very much information to go on at all, as to how long he's spent with each woman. We do however get to see what each one of them is like for a little bit.

They’re only opinions though, and I have to accept that. But I’m shocked and saddened by the lack of empathy in my parents towards this Don Johnston character.

No comments: