Friday 31 October 2008

A BAG OF MIXED SWEETS

Had another experience that was interesting and full of happiness.

For some time now I've latched onto wanting a bag of revels...I’m not sure how this was triggered off, but suddenly I felt that I needed to experience it.

Many weeks went by of the same old thing I do with my life, and then one day I found myself in the newspaper shop looking at the sweets on the counter...I don’t think I’ve bought anything there at this particular place in my life, the only memory I have of last buying sweets was in 2003, at college. So I see the revels...and really want them, and thus fourth reach out with my arm to get them with a hand grabing motion. My mum has the money and pays for the bag of revels...which I believe is something crazy like forty or fifty pence.

NOTE: It wasn’t a quick decision. I stood there looking at them for quite a while, and I did ask my mum if it was ok to sort of, you know, have some revvels.

Now came the eating of them, so I’m on foot going up a hill in the cold...and I start eating them and their not what I thought there were at all. To the absolute joy here they seem to be mixed sweets, you’ll get a coffee one and then you’ll get a chewy sort of toffee type of one, and so on. The coffee ones are particularly nice I must say.

I took a long time on thinking about this one, and I reckon that it’s a bit like...a bit like those childhood experiences that you had when you had to go everywhere on foot...and in all weathers, but you usually ate what you had just bought straight away outside.

NOTE: This empty bag (looking a bit erroded now) was put in the bin by my mother twice before it had been photographed. I also couldn;t help but notice how quickly these things get to looking in a sorry state.



It also become apparent that it wasn't Revels I was thinking of when I wanted Revels...I think what I had in my mind here was Minstrels...I wanted a bag of Minstrels...but getting the surprise of the Revels not being the Minstrels was great.

I don’t buy anything in that newspaper shop and don’t go to the pub anymore either, so am a bit out of touch with the prices on chocolate and a pint of beer...some people get angry about this and I’ve had that anger channelled at me more than once now, that I wasn't supporting the local shop, but I don’t read newspapers or smoke, or buy cans of fizzy drink, or sweets (sadly)...I also don’t have a mobile phone and I sure as hell don’t have any income.

But I cant tell you enough how great it was to eat those coffee sweets and other types of sweets, in that revels bag outside in the cold.

No comments: