Wednesday 23 September 2009

DOWSWELL ON DOWSWELL PART 1 OF 6

REACTIONS

As a little kid I did drawings...and there was always (and my mum will tell you) big reactions from adults (teachers and friends of my mother) saying things like “wow...look what that little kid did...he’s got the perspective right and everything”

All the way through my youth all I could do was draw...so what happens to somebody who can only draw?...they end up at art college that’s what happens (not always, ok, not always...but I did...I’m one of the very lucky ones...to have been able to go there...and to be living in a country that is in peaceful times...I’m not living in a war zone...I’m not a homeless child on the streets of Moscow...I was one of the highly privileged people who had a choice...many don’t.)

ILLNESS

I had been off secondary school for four years with a illness called ME and the education people and medics were always wanting me to go back, because there was a fear of me losing out on social skills and also becoming unfit with lack of exercise. They did send me back and it always resulted in me being sent back home. Eventually when I got to age sixteen I was given the choice by somebody (cant remember who exactly but I think it was a english teacher) who said “well you can now legally leave school if you want...you don’t have to be here anymore...you might want to think about that”

And so I did leave school. And at age seventeen I went to Art College with a folder full of drawings.

No comments: