Sunday 27 September 2009

MY HERZOG EMAIL

Hello. I’m Michael J. Dowswell, a unknown director trying to get a letter to Werner Herzog.

--------------------------

Dear Werner Herzog,

I really do not know what to write here...ok, I’m going to write something.

I’ve been a big fan of yours for some time now. Your commentaries on the DVD’s were a great comfort to me (that and David Lynch and Terry Gilliam interviews)...and I feel that we share the same passions on a number of topics.

I have never storyboarded...I’ve always seen something special, grabbed my camera, and shot it...spontaneous filmmaking is important to me...happy accidents are important to me...solitude has also been a part of it, and I think the films would not have been possible without the solitude.

I have shot cats seeing and going into snow for the first time in their lives...a massive hydro mechanical cow that does the toilet...and kittens pretend fighting and growing up into adult cats. One time I purchased the wrong classical CD by accident and then later on found myself using a lot of the music on that CD for three of my films.

I very recently had a strange thing happen to me when I watched your film Little Dieter Needs to Fly for the first time (which I loved by the way) and I was somewhat put into a very strange place when I saw a scene in your film where Dieter is in front of a glass window of jelly fish...it was the first time that your film reminded me of my own film From Behind Glass.

With admiration,

Michael J. Dowswell
Independent Director/Cinematographer/Editor

http://www.studiotacitus.co.uk/

No comments: