Monday 8 December 2008

MY CONVERSATIONS WITH ANDY SIEMS PART 1 OF 2

This is a hard one to talk about but I want get this out of my system...what happened there with Andy Siems was I spoke to him a couple of times in a chat room...and I think it was me that said... “can I add you to messenger?”...and then well, I added him to messenger.

What then transpired was a very bad case of me being star struck, but also ontop of that, which was possibly even worse...the self fulfilling prophecy thing happened...it's not good, no it's not good.

NOTE: Andy Siems and John Jansen do The Hollywood Saloon Podcast.

These guys I just really love listening to and over the years you get so that you know what they love and what they don’t love...sort of. But, I do know one thing for certain, and that’s that Andy Siems really loves science fiction...but what I’m talking about here is a real love for a lot of different types of science fiction...and a particular love for what I call pure science fiction stuff, that’s the very optimistic stuff, like the Gene Roddenberry universe. That basically means space ships, alien worlds and ray guns. Now I don’t come across many people who like that stuff, in fact I only know two or three. But it’s very clear in those three cases that they are very similar to me in the views that they have about present day mankind, we share a dream of all probably wanting to live in Gene Roddenberry universe.

I know that he loves my films a lot, and so entirely possible that, maybe he was star struck around me?...I only say this because on the brief encounters I’ve had with him he’s often said how much he loves my films...

NOTE: When somebody says they love my stuff I never know how to really respond to it. You see, I see nothing but faults in my work...I want the work to be so much better than it is...but to come clean here, I see great potential in my ideas, if I can ever get them properly realised...to me, they still aren’t really realised. Maybe the concepts are, but I’m a long way off from that 70mm camera and large miniatures...and that frustrates the hell out of me.

NOTE: At the same time I’m proud of most of what I’ve done because it exists as something, and that’s better than not having anything at all to show. And don’t get me wrong, I’m really happy with some of the shots I’ve done, and love the actual making the films.

That somebody was star struck around me is a very difficult concept for me to grasp, that people would be star struck around me...me????..*laughs* and I definitely think he would find it hard to grasp that somebody was star struck around him too...but the simple fact of the matter is, I was.

Butis there a misunderstanding though?...Am I one of these people who assumes the worse?

1 comment:

Andy Siems said...

Mike...

I just found this post via google.

I would not call the term "star struck", I'd rather call it "respect". I respect you for your work. Of the large volumes of "amateur" FX work I have seen on the net yours is the BEST. So, rather than a silly term like "star struck" (for both of us) I think it makes more sense to call it mutual respect.