Monday 2 February 2009

THE WHOLE SELF PORTRAIT THING OR WANTING TO PHOTO YOUR ROOM THING PART 1 OF 2

It’s no secret that (or now it isn’t) that I take photos of myself and my room...occasionally.

Every now and again over the years (I think it all started round about 2001 when I live on my own for two years) (I’ve not done it in a long time now mind you (until two days ago's Korg photo)...but, I’ve always wanted to write about this topic...I cant help but notice that a lot of people in the history books have done this thing of photoing themselves too...is it just something that comes with being a Artist / Director?...for me, if I was to go into explaining about it...I would have to say that there’s two possible reasons behind it. The first being, that, I would really like to photograph some people...because, I think photographs of people are fascinating, you cant beat it...peoples faces are always going to make for interesting photos, because it’s what we as human do on a daily basis, we talk to other talking heads.

But because I’m very shy and hate asking if its ok to photograph another person...that’s another topic, but it’s a real thing I struggle with that one….but anyway, when it comes to photographing yourself, you have the right to do it no questions asked...I honestly kind of feel bad about asking somebody if they want to be photographed...cause your putting them on the spot about it.

Plus...If you photograph yourself or your room occasionally...when you look back at ones six or seven years ago...you do stop and go “wait what, I’m actually getting older aren’t I?”...or... “ha, yes, that’s what my room looked like when I lived there” and that creates a very odd feeling of realisation you know?...and a bit like putting on a track of music, a photograph of a room can spark off memories of the past.

Somebody once told me that your life can basically be looked back upon as being split up into chapters.

And sometimes I think that...well, I think that, I’m one of these people that has to do something each day in order to feel that the day hasn’t been entirely wasted...I seem to have a thing about that...so I go into a thing where it usually turns into a task you can pick...that can be in the shape of all sorts of things...a bit of text, a photo, a 3D set or prop. Each one of these things seems to somehow help.

No comments: