Thursday 12 March 2009

THE TRUTH ABOUT HOW I FEEL ABOUT MY ANIMATION SHORT FILMS PART 2 OF 3

I just want to state now that I don’t hate computer generated animations...I do like them...I have great love for Monsters.inc and Toy Story I and II...and well, for all the Pixar films...they're beautifully lit, shot and designed...not to mention great stories. To add here I've not yet seen Wall-E, so I cant comment on how the very latest thing looks.

But, when I compare the computer generated animation to the stop motion animation of Wallace and Gromit: The Wrong Trousers I just feel that the miniatures have something very special about them...and if given the choice..."What would you do Michael, if you had the money?"...they are indeed the road I would choose...you can glance through lots and lots of miniature work...2001: A Space Odyssey, Alien, Star Trek I, II, III, IV, VI and VII, Space Precinct, Red Dwarf, Lost Cargo, Starship Troopers...the list goes on and on. Straight off when looking at these you’ll notice how the lights look when the camera is pointed right at them. And the grain of the celluloid is another thing you’ll notice, they’re two things that I absolutely love about it.

Whats very interesting is this idea of doing a really stylised look with miniatures, two examples here from Pieter Engels and Efim Perlis' "Lost Cargo" and Gerry Andersons' "Space Precinct". Love these very much.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I'm not sure which road I would go down though, if I ever had to choose between very stylised miniatures and slightly stylised miniatures. For my CG films though I definitely try to go down the very road.

No comments: