Wednesday 4 March 2009

THE TRUTH ABOUT HOW I FEEL ABOUT MY ANIMATION SHORT FILMS PART 1 OF 3

This has to be done...and I hope it doesn’t come off or sound like a rant, because really it isn’t, it's just a series of facts that I want to get out there...make people aware of.

So here I go with it.

I don’t love robots...and I don’t have a particular love for CGA (computer generated animation), really I don’t...and I want this made clear now...lol...I do the short films this way (which, by the way have been made with no money) because I don’t see how I can do a film shot on film with miniatures...well, you know?...big-iatures as they say in New Zealand...(they would be big too) and I don’t see where I would put them or how I would construct them.

I make the films with a view to them being remade with miniatures / big-iatures / real actors / real sets / real light...one day...I just hope...I HOPE that I’m not wasting my time with it all...all of these things I’m making (and this may sound odd) are done with that in mind...I don’t fully understand it myself now...other than I’m compelled to do it...i cant sit around and do nothing, so I do somthing?

And as for the robots...well, the reason I have little peg leg robots that look a bit silly, is because my technical skills are really poor, and the little peg leg robots are quite easy to have walk across the screen...for a long time I want just SOMETHING that would be able to walk across the screen...it all sounds crazy, but it’s the truth.

But don’t let this fool you into thinking I don’t love the process of making these films.

Setting up the shots compositionally, editing the shots together to see the sequence start to be born in front of you, and then putting the music ontop...all of that stuff I LOVE to pieces. And those are definitely the three things that excite me the most (at this stage in my life with making these things) about filmmaking and keep me going. That and of course the lighting...I absolutely love lighting scenes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Michael,

I am a little bit surprised about what you said. I stumbled about your blog while I was reading comments on Steve's blog, and I follow your project now for half a year or so. You have developed an unique style. And your visuals are great, but CG is just a tool to get something done. Does it matter if you use CG or real models? If you don't like robots - why don't you do what you really want? Why don't you join forces with others?

Since 6 years or so I try to finish something, and I found out that I shouldn't care about how to do it. I just should care about getting something done, even if I really would like to use real models (they are soooo coool!!!). I am also not a professional CG animator, and my Cinema 4D has big limitations (and I am limited with my skills and my time, too).

I hope you continue your projects,

Yours COS

Michael J. Dowswell said...

Hi COS,

Thank you, I’m glad and happy that somebody is out there watching and likes what I do. Believe me I like some of the shots in my films, and I’m always happy with how I edit it together mostly.

Your right about getting something done...100% right...what you’ve said is exactly the way it is for me...I do it because I cant sit and do nothing...so I do something...but that doesn’t mean I have to be happy about it. I would like to be happy about it of course...but I’m not. But I’m happy that something has been done instead of what would ultimately be the worst case scenario (which would be nothing getting done...because I believe some of my ideas are good, if I didn’t I wouldn’t be doing it at all)

Collaboration would be amazing, but it would involve lots of money. There are multiple problems regarding that topic.

Mike