Tuesday 12 May 2009

WATCHING SPACE SHUTTLE ATLANTIS LAUNCH YESTERDAY LIVE

I seemed to tear up a bit when watching the shuttle launch live on our TV yesterday...I was NOT expecting that.

It must be something to do with the danger involved every time they launch one...I wonder how dangerous it is exactly though?...but then, that is an awful lot of fuel...and they do go into SPACE. There was something very beautiful about the launch...and of course epic...combined with the danger element (which you can actually feel in the voices of the people doing it...and there’s bound to be because of what happened to Challenger in 1986 and Columbiain 2003)

I was very impressed by the highly organised-ness of it...and the precision involved is incredible for such huge objects? I don’t know anything about these things really, but it definitely feels very impressive when you see it live...the Nasa TV channel was great, I’d never been to that before.

What’s odd in all of this is that the first shuttle launch was in the year I was born (1981)...and I’ve just read here that the shuttle is scheduled to be retired from service in 2010 (that’s pretty darn soon!)...so we wont see many more of these launches if that’s true. Watch them while you can!

No comments: