Tuesday 7 July 2009

EVEN MORE DETAIL TO THE CARGO SHIP AND ALSO ROBERT McKEE HAS POPPED UP TWICE THIS WEEK IN THOUGHTS AND DIALOGUE.

Photobucket

Robert Mckee’s tenth commandment is #10 Thou Shalt Rewrite. Now this is the same when your designing ships and making them...you have to and I think its very important to say...to shout out “stop!”...and add more detail to the thing / redo bits of it...sometimes you have to redo the entire thing...and the fine tuning process is very important.

The other thing he famously said was to “wow them in the end”...this cropped up in a email dialogue. Again it’s a real important one to remember because it is indeed true...your audience is sat there through an entire film and the last sequences are what they are about to watch and what they are about to walk away from...I think that really clever ideas of a philosophical type are a good way to go for a ending. This reminds me a lot of the ending I did for Errans Ruber (which was actually the first scene I created for that particular animation)...a scene I created by accident as I was playing around in 3d with a new skeleton model. But the skeleton in the sand for the closing shot really worked well there.

Just find it interesting McKee cropped up twice. I've not actually read Story but I have read McKee's Ten Commandments a few times and the film Adaptation is one of my all time favourites. : O )

I’ve started to add bridges to the cargo ship...I wonder if things would have two bridges?...ah well, I think it needed those bits.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

At the very least, he has the most extraordinary eyebrows.

Michael J. Dowswell said...

Hehe...those certainly are bushy, and would probably enable him to go into some top ten bushy eyebrows lists.