Wednesday 4 November 2009

THE CURRENT SITUATION

So why are things so slow?...well the problem with being a linear organism and artist (with the invention of time and having goals / the pursuit of better films), is that with each new project you want to increase the detail level to “better” the previous film. With High Definition there’s now this strong desire all the more so, because of the increase of resolution. There’s also the very true statement about how detail is king...wait no, story is king.

Wait no...I’m sorry but so is detail. Now this creates a problem for me, because detail takes TIME to do. It’s a solo project and therefor a bit of a suicide mission because It makes the project much more fatigue inducing...its not as quickly manageable or instantly gratifying I think...meaning you are in a slower speed...which leads to a fatigue...that or...well, I’m getting older I spose. Not that old though...only twenty eight.

If story is king (which it is) then I may be in a spot of trouble there too. But I’ve been told that I create experiences...and I spose that might be ok...I don’t know if it is or not...ok it probably is ok...or is it? Certainly I’d love my characters to talk (that would be really nice and something ive wanted for years now). So I want to progress to talking characters...who wouldn’t?...its normal.

Internet friend and pen pal Mr Cos reckons that we are both in need of satisfaction and aren’t getting it...and I think he’s hit the nail on the head here 100%...it’s a case of not feeling satisfied.

So the answer may be, to go back to simpler set design which enables me to push forward in a far more satisfying way...hmm. I don’t honestly and realistically feel that I would be happy with that either.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Recently I've come to the conclusion that detail and story are totally inseparable.

When I started my project I was only concerned with the story and I wasn't interested in developing the detail at all. Once I had a fairly lengthy animation done I realized I hated the look of it and THEN I realized I hated the story. It wasn't even the story I wanted to tell.

So I've gone back, drawn my "story beats," and paid attention to detail. And by doing that, my story is slowly developing into the story I actually wanted to tell in the first place.

Just some of my thoughts.

Michael J. Dowswell said...

Yep it's true. If you look back at all the great films and reasons for why they are great...it's always because of uncompromising story telling and uncompromising attention to detail.