Thursday 12 November 2009

THE REALISATION THAT YOU HAVE BEEN BULLSHITTED TO YOUR ENTIRE LIFE...OR, JUST A MISUNDERSTANDING CAUSED BY NOT BEING AWARE OF SENSITIVE PEOPLE / OBSES

SIONAL MINDS / PERFECTIONISTS

There came a point in my life where I suddenly thought…”you know, various people you bump into when your young pour poison in your ear (probably not even aware of it and the damage its doing to the sensitive young obsessional artist) while your on your art college.”….there are various people who tell you that you shouldn’t be doing this and shouldn’t be doing that...example:

“you can’t draw horses like that...you have drawn them wrong. You can’t draw a tree like that...you‘ve drawn it wrong...”

These were teachers (who I don’t know how long they’ve taught at these art colleges), but you got the impression they had been there since the dawn of time (which is something I don’t think I fully agree with...I don’t think teaching for over twenty five years has done SOME of them any good) I’ve actually heard reports of young people who stop doing their art because some bastard lecturer has unwittingly said that “oh...your drawing that all wrong...”

SOLUTION FOR THE TEACHER:
These teachers have to be aware of the current mental condition of the student...and aware of the real outside world. They also should know a bit about psychology.

SOLUTION FOR THE STUDENT:
Information. The student (if very young) is going to acquire knowledge through experience...but I recommend studying a bit of psychology and remember the real world is completely different to the education world.

Perhaps I went to art college far to young...I was only sixteen when I started up...and had not had any interaction with any other people other than my parents for four years.

I’ve heard multiple times from fully grown adults that they cant / don’t have the right to do something until they have gone on a course and be taught the “proper” way to do it. Now don’t get me wrong...my degree introduced me to Cinema 4D and I am internally grateful for that. But be careful what you let people tell you and how it effects you…there is a very clear line between the education world, and what actually goes on out in the real world.

You’ll notice that various people went ahead and drew a tree the way they wanted to draw a damn tree, and became very famous and made a living out of what they do.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

DAMN STRAIGHT! I totally agree - there is no right/wrong way of approaching something. Trial and error is a subjective process. If it works - it's right, if it's unsuccessful, you can call it wrong. But that may only be for yourself. One man's trash, and all that junk.

I love your process here on this blog; the style that is emerging - I am envious I didn't come up with it myself. It is simple, beautiful, provocative, and everything - down to even the titles - speaks of a bi-gone era of film making, yet still manages to be something eyecatching and new.

Michael J. Dowswell said...

Well you are too kind Paul. I’m not really happy with these animations….it’s a strange thing, I like making them but don’t like the end results.