Thursday 5 November 2009

STANLEY KUBRICK

He honestly is without a doubt one of my biggest if not thee biggest influences of my work. I think the other major influence has been Werner Herzog and of course probably my father, who loves science fiction, classical music and computers...and so I grew up surrounded by science fiction, classical music and computers. But it still gets down to what you love, and I love classical music very much...so with Stanely I've always loved the use of the music...but It's also very much the editing and the wide angle photography that has me engrossed and highly influenced...I love the way he shot everything.

Stanley Kubrick's love for James Cagney and him seeing that Jack Nicholson had a similar sort of quality was a great thing for cinema when The Shining arrived.

And oddly I love synthesizers too. His collaborations with Wendy Carlos doing cover versions of famous tunes was another stroke of genius. Theres something incredibly wonderful about the noise that is generated from them. Nowadays we are extreamly lucky to live in a era where its possible to buy somthing that does the same sounds for not much money at all.

No comments: